A message just went out today to the ALA-NMRT (New Members Round Table) list serve, seeking liaisons to other ALA divisions & library organizations. If you’re a library school student or a new professional, this would be a great way to get involved.
To view the original email, please visit the ALA New Members Round Table Discussion List Archive.
Full email notice pasted below:
Hello NMRT Members:
Are you looking for a way to be more involved in the library profession? Being an NMRT Liaison is a fantastic opportunity if you are an NMRT member and a member of another library organization. NMRT liaisons play a key role in increasing awareness of information and ideas of mutual interest to NMRT and liaison unit members with a minimal time commitment. Liaison responsibilities are listed below. We have many spots left to fill, so if you see your organization on the list below, please consider volunteering! If you are interested in getting involved, please fill out the volunteer form: http://www.ala.org/ala/mgrps/rts/nmrt/popularresources/getinvolved/liaison.cfm.
OR Contact me off-list to express your interest in serving as a liaison
Charlene Hsu Gross, MSLIS
NMRT Liaison Coordination & Support Committee, Chair, 2011-2012
You can volunteer for more than one and will be assigned to no more than three units. Your assignment will be for one year, beginning at the close of ALA’s Annual conference through Annual Conference 2012. Conference attendance is not required.
Major Liaison Responsibilities
NMRT-L and unit communication tools (listservs, blogs, wikis, ALA Connect,etc.) as well as conference attendance are appropriate ways to carry out these responsibilities.
The responsibilities of the liaisons are to:
- Join appropriate listservs, including NMRT-L. Monitor publications of the liaison unit.
- Submit committee meeting dates and program information for their liaison unit. Request inclusion in the distribution of agenda and minutes for the unit. Publicize information concerning the unit including relevant program invitations, announcements and other information.
- Keep their units informed of NMRT activities that would be of interest, such as the programs sponsored by the Student and Student Chapter Outreach Committee, the Student Reception, Mentoring, etc.
- Invite unit representatives to attend functions including Orientation and the Student Reception.
- Report on discussions, policies, and action of their units that are relevant to NMRT. Obtain minutes, if possible, and summarize relevant sections.
- Report on discussions, policies, and actions of NMRT that are relevant to their unit.
- Identify and alert NMRT of unit programs which NMRT may wish to co-sponsor, either from unit breakout sessions, listservs or other means.
Units in need of liaisons:
- ACRL Western European Studies Section (WESS)
- American Library Association (ALA) CPE
- American Library Association (ALA) Membership Meetings
- American Library Association-Allied Professional Association (ALA-APA)
- Arizona Library Association
- Association for Library and Information Science Education (ALISE)
- Association for Library Collections and Technical Services (ALCTS) (2-3 members)
- Association for Library Service to Children (ALSC)
- Association of Jewish Libraries
- Association of Library Trustees, Advocates, Friends and Foundations (ALTAFF)
- Black Caucus of the American Library Association (BCALA)
- Canadian Library Association
- Ethnic & Multicultural Information Exchange (EMIE) RT
- Federal and Armed Forces RT
- Indiana Library Federation
- Iowa Library Association
- Joint Conference of Librarians of Color (JCLC)
- Kansas Library Association
- Learning RT (LRT)
- Map and Geography RT
- Maryland Library Association
- Mountain Plains Library Association
- Nassau County Library Association
- New York Library Association
- North Carolina Library Association
- Office for Information Technology Policy Advisory Committee (OITP)
- Social Responsibilities Round Table (SRRT)
- South Carolina Library Association
- South Dakota Library Association
- Southeastern Library Association (SELA)
- Special Libraries Association (SLA)
- Staff Organizations RT
- Video Round Table
- Wyoming Library Association
Please feel free to contact me off-list to express your interest in serving as a 2011-2012 liaison.